Home Page Services Directions Contact Us Picture Gallery Brief History Terms & Conditions    



The first evidence of a boatyard at the site on which Silvers Marine Limited is now based can be traced back to the early 1880’s. The yard was established by local boatbuilder Peter R McLean.

It was under McLean that James A Silver, the son of a local shop owner began his apprenticeship as a boatbuilder.

After serving his apprenticeship, James Silver left the yard before McLean sold it in 1906, and set up business with his brother and John A McCallum, a well known Clyde designer. They built their first motor yacht in a yard in Glasgow. The partnership worked well and the yacht was a great success.
  When the yard at Rosneath came up for sale again James Silver took it over and rapidly built a reputation for high quality motor and motor-sailing yachts. The first Silver yacht rolled down the slipway at Rosneath in 1910.
  Silvers yachts were a great success but James Silver was a poor businessman and the yard fell into financial difficulties. He sold the yard to a syndicate and stayed on for a couple of years as manager.
  In 1916 he left and the syndicate approached designer John Bain to take over the management of the yard. Bain was not only a motor yacht designer of merit, he was also a shrewd manager and this partnership was to bring the yard renown and prosperity over the next fifty years.
  By the mid 1950’s Bain had fallen ill and his future with the yard seemed in doubt. Ill health eventually forced him to give up the management of the yard and John Boyd took over the role. Under Boyd the yard continued to build luxury motor yachts, and went from strength to strength.
  The 1960’s witnessed an increase in the maximum size of craft turned out by the yard in response to the ever increasing demands of prospective owners of luxury, comfort, and power in a motor boat. As the size of the craft increased, the turnover was vastly reduced and the yard encountered problems. In 1970 the yard went into voluntary liquidation.
  During the late part of 1970 and 1976 the yard was owned by two successive owners, but very little work was done.
  In late 1976 the yard was bought by D.M. Russell and renamed 'D.M. Russell Ltd'. A great deal of work was put into re-establishing the yard. The sole aim of the new owner was to restore the yard to its former glory and re-establish motor powered boats in a first class tradition. After building several Jura Class motor sailers the business failed and the yard fell into receivership in 1982.
  The yard was then bought in 1983 by the Arthur Duthie group and renamed ‘Silvers Marine Ltd.’ The yard has undergone a period of redevelopment and reorganisation and now operates as a high standard maintenance and storage facility.